In this digital day and age, every inch of the cyberspace is occupied by websites that cater to all kinds of needs under the sun. In a highly-saturated online market, viewers visiting your site can judge your business within seconds.
Within that limited timeframe, user-friendly web design can make or mar the impact it makes on your audience. With that in mind, here are five fundamental principles that make up a usable website.
1. Availability and Accessibility
No matter how well-embellished your site is with engaging content, the success of your website largely depends on its availability and accessibility to users. Optimizing your site using SEO techniques will help build its ranking on search engines and widen its visibility. However, there are other factors that can affect its usability:
- Server uptime – it’s crucial to invest in proper hosting to prevent visitors from running into errors when trying to load your site.
- Broken links – there’s nothing more frustrating than clicking on dead links on your site. Be sure to get rid of it by using SEO tools like Ahrefs and Screaming frog, both of which can find all the broken links in your site.
- Mobile responsiveness – search engines are now utilizing a ‘mobile-first’ index, which is a given as mobile devices are dominating the digital world. A responsive site will eliminate glitches and slow loading times – be it on a smaller screen or not.
A good site develops a design layout using a defined hierarchy, which serves as a guide to potential customer’s train of thought. A logical flow should lead customers to prioritized information, as well as encourage stronger call-to-action.
The seamless design reduces risks of confusion and promotes proper communication, which plays a role in keeping a user’s interest. For instance, a bold visual or text block as your main header should catch people’s attention, all while retaining its message.
To that end, a clear website should effectively communicate what your business is all about. Here are critical factors that make up an excellent site:
- Simplicity – the web design should focus on relevant information rather than serve as a distraction.
- Familiarity – sticking to what people are familiar with promotes clarity for users. While you can add your brand’s personality to your site in various ways, be sure to stick to a familiar format.
- Consistency – avoid jumping from different styles – it may look visually appealing, but a cohesive design is a crucial factor in user-friendliness.
Understanding your audience is arguably the pillar of any marketing strategy. It’s especially vital when it comes to boosting your site’s visibility and engagement. Knowing the interests and pain points of your demographic will help determine what type of content to share. Additionally, nailing it right will help your business gain a wider reach. No matter the audience, however, your content should have full regard for its quality and relevance.
It’s essential to keep in mind that your website will reflect the quality and nature of your brand. On that note, an appealing look can encourage users to stay and explore your content. When it is supported by responsive and easy-to-navigate design, it can boost up positive user experience.
We’re a web design agency based in Barnsley, get in touch with us today to see how we can help!